ATHENS – Hunger-striking terrorist killer Dimitris Koufodinas’ plea for transfer to an Athens prison from a facility in central Greece was set aside by the country’s highest administrative court.
The state broadcaster ERT reported that the Council of State ruled it didn’t have the jurisdiction to temporarily freeze the order under which Koufodinas was transferred to a prison at Domokos, near Lamia and that the court would rule on the legality on April 2.
He has been on a hunger strike more than two months and had also stopped taking fluids for a time before accepting intravenous liquids after kidney damage and his life said to be in danger.
He had been taken from the-then high security Korydallos prison in Athens to a low-security work farm under the former ruling Radical Left SYRIZA that is riddled with terrorist and anarchist sympathizers.
When New Democracy routed the Leftists in July 7, 2019 snap elections, he was taken to the Domokos prison and his lawyer complained his client has to share a cell and can’t read or listen to the radio in peace.
He wants to return to Korydallos, where he had been in solitary confinement but the government said it’s now essentially being used as a pre-trial detention center and not suited to hold violent criminals.
Koufodinas, the trigger man for the disbanded Nov. 17 terrorist group that was busted two years before the 2004 Athens Olympics, under growing pressure from the international community, is serving 11 life sentences for killling 11 people, including five Americans attached to the US Embassy.
Sympathizers have staged a series of arson and vandalism attacks in recent days, while several protest marches have been staged in Athens and elsewhere to support Koufodinas' demands, Nov. 17 still idolized by some despite murdering 23 people between 1975-2000 and planning more attacks.