PHNOM PENH, Cambodia — Cambodia’s Health Ministry announced the country’s second confirmed death from COVID-19 on Friday.
It said the 62-year-old victim was a Cambodian woman admitted Wednesday to the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital in the capital Phnom Penh with underlying health issues, including diabetes, high blood pressure and lung problems.
Cambodia confirmed its first virus-related death on March 11, a .50-year-old man Cambodian man who was found to have become infected last month while working as a driver for a Chinese company in the coastal city of Sihanoukville.
Cambodia has confirmed 1,578 virus cases during the pandemic.
Prime Minister Hun Sen announced in an audio message posted on social media Friday that his government has purchased 1.5 million doses of the Chinese-made Sinovac vaccine. He said the shipment will arrive March 26 and be dispensed nationwide.
Hun Sen said 400,000 doses of the Sinopharm vaccine donated by China will arrive sometime in April. A first batch of 600,000 already is being used in outbreak areas. Cambodia also received 324,000 doses of the Astra Zeneca vaccine through the World Health Organization earlier this month.