NEW YORK – The Federation of Cypriot American Organizations (FCAO) announced the information and released the application form and guidelines for the 2019 Cyprus Summer of Hospitality Program. The Cyprus Government-sponsored program for children 14-17 years of age offers an all expenses (accommodation, guided tours, and meals) experience in Cyprus, covered by the Cyprus Government. The cost of airfare and personal expenses is the responsibility of the child’s family.
The dates for the 2019 Summer Hospitality Program are July 1-12, 2019. The children will be departing from JFK or Newark Airport on July 1 and returning to JFK or Newark Airport on July 12. If your child is traveling before the departure date, kindly inform FCAO so that arrangements can be made to join the group in Cyprus.
The deadline to submit your application is May 5, 2019. All applications received after May 5, 2019 will not be considered. Notifications will be made by May 15th, 2019 if your child has been accepted in the 2019 Cyprus Summer Hospitality Program. FCAO will handle the flight reservations for the group. If your child is traveling before the departure date or has other flight arrangements, kindly inform FCAO so that arrangements can be made to join the group in Cyprus.
Kindly, send your completed application to Tasoula Manaridis, by email: [email protected] or fax to (516) 723-9177.
2019 Cyprus Hospitality Program Requirements
- Parents or at least one parent must be of Greek/Cypriot descent. (Consideration will be given to non-Greek/Cypriot children).
- Children must be born abroad or must have left at a young age and preferably visiting Cyprus for the first time.
- Children must be of ages 14 through 17.
- Ideally, one child will be selected from each family.
- Children who have participated in the Hospitality Program previously will not be accepted
- During the Hospitality Trip, children must stay at designated places.
- Following the hospitality trip, children may stay with relatives or friends as authorized by their parents and provided that parents assume such responsibility.
- Parents must notify the educator/escort in charge of the hospitality trip of the name of the person who will deliver or receive the child before the departure from New York.
- During the entire hospitality trip, children will be escorted by educator/chaperone.
- Children must obey all rules and express any problems or grievances directly to the escort. If children do not follow the rules, they will be expelled from the trip. You must complete and sign the Parental Consent-Liability Waiver form.
- Children must deliver to the escort sums of money (allowance) to avoid losses, unnecessary waste, and purchases.
- Upon arrival at the Cyprus airport, children will be received and escorted by representatives of the Service for Overseas Cypriots of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Cyprus.
- Responsibility for any children who are to remain in Cyprus or travel to other destinations upon conclusion of the hospitality trip shall stay with the parents, relatives or friends. The same applies to receive children before the departure date and the beginning of hospitality trip.
- Participating children shall be selected by a special committee consisting of a representative of the Consulate General of Cyprus and by two representatives of the Federation of Cypriot American Organizations. The selection process will start following the application submitted by the child’s parents, to the Federation of Cypriot American Organizations (FCAO) office.
- The dates and duration of the Hospitality trip will be made public and shall be announced through the press.
- Notification regarding acceptance or non-acceptance of submitted application shall be made timely.
- The Hospitality Trip includes (a) Accommodation for 10-days in locations selected by the Government of the Republic of Cyprus, all meals, transfers to/from airport, guided tours, picnics, visits to museums and archaeological sites (b) books and small value gifts and (c) airfare for escorts.
- The Hospitality trip will take place during the summer months. After their trip, children will be asked to submit a written report on their trip and submit to the Hospitality Selection Committee.
More information is available by Phone: 516-399-2295, Fax: 516-723-9177 or E-mail: [email protected].
The letter from Federation of Cypriot American Organizations President Kyriacos Papastylianou announcing the 2019 Cyprus Summer Hospitality Program. Photo: Federation of Cypriot American Organizations
The Parental Consent-Liability Waiver form for the 2019 Cyprus Summer Hospitality Program is due May 5. Photo: Federation of Cypriot American Organizations