x

Music

National Opera to Stage Hytner’s Production of Verdi’s Don Carlo after Vick Bows Out

October 25, 2019
ANA

ATHENS – The Greek National Opera on Friday announced that scheduled performances of Giuseppe Verdi’s opera “Don Carlo” in December will go ahead on the same dates as before but based on a production designed by Sir Nicholas Hytner, instead of Graham Vick as originally announced.

Vick was forced to back out of the direction of the performance due to serious back problems, the national opera said.

Noting that the public had already expressed great interest in “Don Carlo”, the national opera decided to put it on using the production first presented by the Royal Opera House in London in 2008, with sets and costumes by Bob Crowley. The specific production is a collaboration between the Royal Opera, the Metropolitan Opera of New York and the Norwegian National Opera.

The performances are supported by a donation from the Stavros Niarchos Foundation and are scheduled to take place on December 8, 13, 15, 19, 21, 28 and January 2 and 5.

RELATED

Top Stories

Columnists

A pregnant woman was driving in the HOV lane near Dallas.

General News

NEW YORK – Meropi Kyriacou, the new Principal of The Cathedral School in Manhattan, was honored as The National Herald’s Educator of the Year.

Video

NYC Officials Shutter Furniture Store Illegally Converted to House More than 40 Migrants

NEW YORK (AP) — A New York City furniture store that had been illegally converted into sleeping quarters for more than 40 migrants has been shut down by city officials.

LARISA, Greece - Much of Greece’s agricultural heartland in Thessaly and surrounding plains is still a lake, five months after floods washed over the area, leaving farmers and other businesses adrift.

HUSTON, Texas - A series of wildfires swept across the Texas Panhandle early Wednesday, prompting evacuations, cutting off power to thousands, and forcing the brief shutdown of a nuclear weapons facility as strong winds, dry grass and unseasonably warm temperatures fed the blazes.

BEIRUT (AP) — Turkish drone strikes in northeastern Syria on Wednesday killed at least three members of a local Christian force and wounded others, including civilians, a Kurdish official and a Syrian opposition war monitor said.

Enter your email address to subscribe

Provide your email address to subscribe. For e.g. [email protected]

You may unsubscribe at any time using the link in our newsletter.