x

Society

Greece to Open First Controlled-Access Asylum-Seeker Camps on Leros and Kos

November 10, 2021

ATHENS – The migration and asylum ministry on Wednesday presented the three pillars of Greece’s national strategy for migration, saying that their adoption brings measurable results.

“It is the first time that announcements concerning migration have not been just empty words, underlined the ministry, adding that “two years later, our country has regained control of migration….It is planning a ‘tomorrow’ with certainty and optimism.”

Specifically the three pillars are:

– The completion of a new and modern national reception system at the entry points, with closed and controlled-access facilities built to European standards. The new centres on the islands of Kos and Leros will be inaugurated on November 27.

– Restricting the repercussions of the migration crisis on local communities via financing tools for strengthening services and building projects in municipalities where migrant facilities operate.

– Gradually decongesting the islands and mainland by ensuring an equal distribution of asylum-seekers in all regions of Greece.

RELATED

ATHENS - Greece confirmed 3,823 new coronavirus infections in the last 24 hours, with 10 of these identified at entry points to the country, the National Public Health Organization (EODY) said on Sunday.

Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top Stories

General News

Fans of the Greek Street Food Truck in Dayton, Ohio won’t have to eat on the walk too much longer as founder Chris Spirtos said he’ll open a restaurant at the Crosse Point Shopping Center in Centerville, in the metro area.

United States

The generosity of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Agora Institute at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore saw installation of eight professors through an endowment in a building still taking shape and celebration of the coming space.

General News

The lives of the early waves of Greek immigrants are rarely reported upon in their full reality.

Video

Donations Pour in for Missouri Man Freed After 43 Years

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — More than $1,4 million had been raised as of Saturday for a man who spent 43 years behind bars before a judge overturned his conviction in a triple killing.