Cyprus Police Use Tear Gas to Disperse Soccer Fans Following League Cup Final

NICOSIA – Following the conclusion of the league cup final in Cyprus, dozens of soccer fans attacked the police, prompting law enforcement to employ tear gas to disperse the crowd.

Prior to the final match between Omonia Nicosia and AEL Limassol at Nicosia GSP Stadium on Wednesday, six individuals were apprehended for possessing fireworks. Additionally, a search of the stadium parking lot led to the discovery of a bag containing four Molotov cocktails.

Further investigations led to the arrest of a 16-year-old riding a stolen moped, suspected to be one of the 60 AEL fans involved in pelting the police with fireworks and Molotov cocktails outside the AEL clubhouse in Limassol. The fans also ignited plastic garbage bins and a nearby vehicle before dispersing due to the deployment of tear gas.

Additionally, a 25-year-old driver of a vehicle near the clashes was arrested for the illegal possession and transportation of 254 shotgun shells.

In Nicosia, fans threw rocks at the police, although no arrests were made.

During the clashes in Limassol, one officer sustained minor injuries to his foot. A total of approximately 350 officers were deployed to ensure the safety of the final match, which concluded with Omonia securing a 1-0 victory, marking their 16th League Cup win.


NICOSIA - It's already been rejected by the occupying Turkish-Cypriot side, but Cypriot President Nikos Christodoulides said the European Union should help broker attempts to bring together the island split by unlawful 1974 Turkish invasions.

Top Stories


A pregnant woman was driving in the HOV lane near Dallas.

General News

FALMOUTH, MA – The police in Falmouth have identified the victim in an accident involving a car plunging into the ocean on February 20, NBC10 Boston reported.


Enter your email address to subscribe

Provide your email address to subscribe. For e.g. [email protected]

You may unsubscribe at any time using the link in our newsletter.