ATHENS – A day after a bomb was set off outside a TV station and newspaper, the Athens Court of Appeals – which had been bombed before – was evacuated on Dec. 18 after anonymous phone calls warning another device would be set off.
was being evacuated on Tuesday morning following two anonymous telephone calls warning of a bomb.
The calls were made to the newspaper Eleftheros Typos and the website Zoulga.gr, warning that the court had to be evacuated by 11.20 a.m.
The court was bombed in Dec. 2017 by the far-left militant Group of Popular Fighters, who investigators think was also behind the assault on outside the offices of SKAI TV in a building which also houses the newspaper Kathimerini.
The powerful blast caused extensive damage to the building’s glass front but no injuries – as the facility had been evacuated following warning calls to two other media outlets before 2 a.m.
Forensic experts said that a backpack containing around 10 kilograms (22.2 pouns) of explosives was attached to a metal crash barrier on the street in front of the building.
A burnt car, an Opel Astra, was found at around 2 a.m. in the Athens neighborhood of Ano Petralona, said Kathimerini, adding that security cameras recorded vehicles passing the building, but not the perpetrators placing the bomb outside as that part of the road is a blind spot.
The footage has not officially been received by police but it has been handed over to officials at the Citizens’ Protection Ministry, which the paper has criticized for not providing police protection to the building.
European Economics Commissioner Pierre Moscovici said in a tweet that “every attack on (the press) is an attack against our way of life, our principles and our values – an attack on all Europeans.”