x

Society

Anastasiades Holds Big Lead in Presidential Race?

November 12, 2017

NICOSIA – Five years after he reneged on campaign promises and authorized bank account confiscations to save the country’s banks – and bankers – Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades is cruising toward another win in the 2018 elections, a poll by Antenna TV has shown.

The poll was conducted via 1,021 personal interviews with randomly selected subjects by CMRC Cypronetwork between Oct. 19-Nov. 6, the Cyprus Mail reported. It gave Anastasiades, from DISY, with 26.3 percent of the vote to 19.7 for Nikolas Papadopoulos of DIKO with Stavros Malas of AKEL third with 17 percent.

Citizens Alliance candidate Yiorgos Lillikas got 4 percent, far-right ELAM leader Christos Christou 3.6 percent and bondholders’ association leader Fivos Mavrovouniotis 0.9 percent, showing Anastasiades has easily withstood the wrath of people who lost money, as his administration recently said they would get partial compensation.

He hasn’t gone after bank who created the crisis, breaking that vow too.?Some 15.7 percent though said they don’t care and won’t vote for anyone and another 9.6 percent said they would cast a blank ballot, the total of the two categories meaning 25.3 percent are unhappy with the country’s politics and candidates.

RELATED

NIKOSIA - Dust and other potentially toxic emissions are being caused by renovations at the Makarios Children’s Hospital in Nicosia which specializes in treating cancer cases, charities helping there have complained.

Top Stories

Columnists

A pregnant woman was driving in the HOV lane near Dallas.

General News

NEW YORK – Meropi Kyriacou, the new Principal of The Cathedral School in Manhattan, was honored as The National Herald’s Educator of the Year.

Video

2 Germans, a Spaniard and a Senegalese Killed in Building Collapse in Spain’s Mallorca Island

MADRID (AP) — Spain's National Police on Friday gave details on four people killed when a building housing a bar and restaurant club collapsed on the island of Mallorca.

SPRINGFIELD, Ill.  — The Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum is once again under the spotlight after a manager failed to consult a collections committee before purchasing a 21-star flag whose description as a rare banner marking Illinois' 1818 admission to the Union is disputed.

BABYLON, NY – Babylon AHEPA Chapter 416 awarded two very well-qualified students Yanni Saridakis and Maria Avlonitis with $1,000 scholarships on May 19.

THRU JUNE 4 NEW YORK – The third iteration of the Carte Blanche project featuring Maria Antelman with the work ‘The Seer (Deep)’ opened on April 19 and runs through June 4, Monday-Friday 9 AM-2:30 PM, at the Consulate General of Greece in New York, 69 East 79th Street in Manhattan.

ATHENS – An Archieratical Divine Liturgy and a memorial service honoring the 50th dark anniversary of the Turkish invasion of Cyprus at the Metropolis – the Greek Orthodox Cathedral of Athens – marked the beginning of the 4th Archon International Conference on Religious Freedom of the Archons of the Ecumenical Patriarchate on Sunday, May 26.

Enter your email address to subscribe

Provide your email address to subscribe. For e.g. [email protected]

You may unsubscribe at any time using the link in our newsletter.