ATHENS – Greek assassin Dimitris Koufodinas, whose Nov. 17 terror group killed 23 people, including five Americans, reportedly will get another furlough from jail – his sixth – although the Justice Ministry said he won’t.
Koufodinas was moved in August 2018 from the high-security Korydallos Prison in the Greek capital to a low-security farm in the city of Volos and will get a six-day vacation beginning Feb. 28, said Kathimerini, citing the prison council.
Another media report said the ministry had disputed that and indicated he won’t get going anywhere just yet despite critics saying the terrorist-friendly ruling Radical Left SYRIZA and Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras are paving the way for his release.
Koufodinas is tied to 11 killings for which he was convicted, including Americans attached to the US Embassy with the US setting aside more criticism of his lenient treatment after a recent US-Greece Strategic Dialogue and with the US keen on expanding a military presence in Greece and working with the previously anti-American SYRIZA.
Enjoying his six-day vacation from jail during the Christmas-New Year’s holidays, Koufodinas was pictured walking with one of the leaders of the notorious Rouvikonas anarchists past some of scenes where the terrorist group killed people.
A smiling Koufodinas was with a leader of the anarchist group Rouvikonas, who wasn’t identified. Government officials said all inmates in Greece are entitled to furloughs even those convicted of heinous crimes but so far the only one reported to be getting them is Koufodinas, who enjoys support within SYRIZA and was embraced on one release by the son of Nikos Voutsis, the party’s Parliament Speaker.
In a message on social media, the Rouvikonas chief posted an image of himself walking next to Koufodinas, saying, “These streets were made for us to walk on.”