NICOSIA — Ten months into the pandemic, Cyprus is still trying to cope with the COVID-19 pandemic, despite a relatively safer record than most countries, but seeing more cases and deaths.
Hours after announcing tougher measures on arrivals from the United Kingdom, where the Coronavirus has mutated, there were two deaths, although the number of cases fell markedly to 242 for a 24-hour period.
The Health Ministry said that a 72 year old man died and an 89 year old woman, both with underlying health issues. The man had been admitted to Nicosia General hospital and the woman was being treated at Limassol General, said The Financial Mirror.
That brought the grim toll of fatalities to 91, with 42 in December alone as the virus surged again, making it the deadliest month this year after signs that it was being partially contained because of lockdowns.
This raises the coronavirus death toll to 91, of which 42, or nearly half, in December alone, making it the deadliest month since the pandemic started, hope that the first vaccines due to begin being administered Dec. 27 would change that.