x

Politics

Turkey’s Defense Minister Says Greece Aggressor, But Plays Victim

November 23, 2021

ANKARA – Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar has stepped up rising provocations, blaming Greece for aggression as tension between the countries rises in the dispute over the seas in the Aegean and East Mediterranean.

“(Greece) has repeatedly and constantly made provocations, aggressive statements and actions which raise tension,” Akar said, Kathimerini reported.

He said Greece’s ruling New Democracy, which has sought European Union sanctions against Turkey’s plans to hunt for energy around Greek islands, “falsifying facts and misleading (other states,)” while violating international laws that Turkey doesn’t recognize unless invoking in its favor.

“(Greece) is making selfish statements in order to draw attention to itself,” he said, continuing Turkey’s practice of pretending to want diplomacy while becoming belligerent.

“They are trying to portray themselves as the victim and Turkey as the aggressor. However, history and ongoing developments clearly show that it is them who are adopting an expansionist and aggressive policy,” Akar said.

RELATED

ATHENS - Greece confirmed 3,823 new coronavirus infections in the last 24 hours, with 10 of these identified at entry points to the country, the National Public Health Organization (EODY) said on Sunday.

Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top Stories

General News

Fans of the Greek Street Food Truck in Dayton, Ohio won’t have to eat on the walk too much longer as founder Chris Spirtos said he’ll open a restaurant at the Crosse Point Shopping Center in Centerville, in the metro area.

United States

The generosity of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Agora Institute at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore saw installation of eight professors through an endowment in a building still taking shape and celebration of the coming space.

General News

The lives of the early waves of Greek immigrants are rarely reported upon in their full reality.

Video

Donations Pour in for Missouri Man Freed After 43 Years

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — More than $1,4 million had been raised as of Saturday for a man who spent 43 years behind bars before a judge overturned his conviction in a triple killing.