x

International

Tuchel Gets 2-Year Extension After Champions League Title

LONDON — Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel was given a two-year contract extension Friday after leading the club to the Champions League title.

The German's deal will keep him in charge of the Premier League club through June 2024, after being hired in late January on an 18-month contract to replace the fired Frank Lampard.

The 47-year-old Tuchel, fired in December by Paris Saint-Germain, led Chelsea to a 1-0 victory over Manchester City last Saturday in the Champions League final.

"I cannot imagine a better occasion for a contract renewal," Tuchel said. "I am grateful for the experience and very happy to stay part of the Chelsea family. There is far more to come and we are looking forward to our next steps with ambition and much anticipation."

Chelsea had already secured a spot in next season's Champions League by finishing fourth in the Premier League. The west London club also reached the final of the FA Cup, losing to Leicester 1-0.

Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia said Tuchel "slotted in seamlessly" upon his arrival at Stamford Bridge.

"Returning us to the top four in the Premier League was crucial," Granovskaia said, "and we could not be happier with our success in the Champions League which crowned a remarkable season at Chelsea."

RELATED

A look at what's happening in European soccer on Thursday: EUROPA LEAGUE Erik ten Hag says Manchester United will learn lessons from Sunday's humiliating 6-3 loss to Manchester City, with the healing process beginning with a trip to Omonia Nicosia for the third round of matches in Europe's second-tier competition.

Top Stories

Columnists

A pregnant woman was driving in the HOV lane near Dallas.

General News

FALMOUTH, MA – The police in Falmouth have identified the victim in an accident involving a car plunging into the ocean on February 20, NBC10 Boston reported.

General News

NEW YORK – Meropi Kyriacou, the new Principal of The Cathedral School in Manhattan, was honored as The National Herald’s Educator of the Year.

Video

Two Boats Carrying Refugees Sink Off Greek Islands, 17 Dead

MYTILENE - Villagers on the Greek island of Kythira rushed to help pull refugees and migrants to safety after a sailboat struck rocks and sank, saving 80 but at least 15 are missing.

Enter your email address to subscribe

Provide your email address to subscribe. For e.g. abc@xyz.com

You may unsubscribe at any time using the link in our newsletter.