Welcome to TNH’s Takeover! In collaboration with The Hellenic Initiative (THI), The National Herald and THI have begun a partnership to introduce the NEXTGEN of Greek/Cypriot ‘movers and shakers’ to the rest of our Diaspora community around the world. Established to inform its readers about all things related to our homeland and its respective communities throughout the world, TNH is now providing THI’s New Leaders (40-years-old and younger), with a new platform to showcase their ideas and to engage their communities in a deeper, more meaningful way while simultaneously building a bridge to Greece and Cyprus. Our next featured New Leader is Konstantine Ouranitsas. Get to know him below!
Last Name, First Name
- Ouranitsas, Konstantine
- Drexel University
What city do you live in?
- New York
Where in Greece/Cyprus are you from?
- Pontos, Skopelos
- Engagement Financial Advisor, Deloitte
What motivated you to get involved with THI?
- I believe in the mission of THI. They not only provide philanthropic donations to various organizations in Greece, but also provide economic development through their various job creation and entrepreneur development programs.
What do you hope to achieve through THI?
- I hope that through THI I am able to continue my efforts in uniting the Hellenic diaspora and supporting Greece. I love Greece and the work THI does, and through my involvement over the years, I have been able to support both.
Favorite activity to take part in where you live?
- I love attending various events in the Hellenic community: networking events, conferences, happy hours, Greek nights, galas, and more. Being in New York, I am fortunate to have many events taking place.
Favorite place to take your non-Greek friends when they visit you in Greece?
- Acropolis and to see the Evzones
Go-to Greek dish/drink when you're missing the homeland?
Favorite Greek product you can find outside of Greece?
Top three people of Greek/Cypriot descent you admire?
In addition to THI, how are you involved in/help the Greek/Cypriot community?
- I am the Chairman of the National Hellenic Student Association (NHSA) of North America, a Fellow of the Hellenic American Leadership Council's Leadership 2030 program, Co-Chair of Greece 200 (a young professional initiative showcasing Greece's culture and modern history), Chair of the Young Adults committee of the National Coordinating Committee for the Celebration of the Bicentennial in America, and a member of AHEPA. In the past, I was the Treasurer of the Federation of Hellenic American Societies of Philadelphia & the Greater Delaware Valley, Board of Director of the Hellenic University Club of Philadelphia, and Young Professional Director of the Hellenic American Chamber of Commerce.
Favorite quote from a Greek philosopher?
- "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." ~Aristotle
One Greek tradition you'll never stop keeping?
- Dancing Zeibekiko and Pontiaka
How has your Hellenic background helped shape who you are today?
- My Hellenic background has become my life and I am very proud to be Greek. My involvement in the many organizations has stemmed from this pride and I promote Greece and the Greek culture wherever I go.