NEW HAVEN, Conn. — Donald Trump’s boast on the campaign trail that he could shoot somebody and not lose any voters tops a Yale Law School librarian’s list of the most notable quotes of 2016.
Sound bites from the presidential campaign dominated the 11th annual Yale Book of Quotations list from Fred Shapiro, an Associate Director of the library. He chooses quotes that are famous or revealing of the spirit of the times, and not necessarily eloquent or admirable.
The list includes quotes from each of the national party conventions. At the Republicans’ gathering in Cleveland, it was Trump saying: “I alone can fix it.” At the Democrats’ convention a week later, it was Khizr Khan, the father of an American soldier killed in Iraq, addressing Trump and saying: “Have you even read the United States Constitution? … You have sacrificed nothing and no one.”
The yearly list is an update to the Yale Book of Quotations which was first published in 2006.
1. “I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody, and I wouldn’t lose any voters.” — Donald Trump, speech at campaign rally, Sioux Center, Iowa, Jan. 23.
2. “When they go low, we go high.” — Michelle Obama, commencement speech at Jackson State University, Jackson, Mississippi, April 23.
3. “You could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the ‘basket of deplorables.'” — Hillary Clinton, remarks at a fundraiser, New York, Sept. 9.
4. “And love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love cannot be killed or swept aside.” — Lin-Manuel Miranda, poem about Orlando massacre read at Tony Awards ceremony, New York, June 12.
5. “(In politics) you need both a public and a private position.” — Hillary Clinton, speech to National Multi-Housing Council released by WikiLeaks, Oct. 7.
6. “I alone can fix it.” — Donald Trump, speech at Republican National Convention, Cleveland, July 21.
7. “Have you even read the United States Constitution? … You have sacrificed nothing and no one.” — Khizr Khan, addressing Donald Trump in speech at Democratic National Convention, Philadelphia, July 28.
8. “Lucifer in the flesh. … I have never worked with a more miserable son of a bitch in my life.” — Former Republican Speaker of the House John Boehner, describing Ted Cruz during talk at Stanford University, April 27.
9. “His life will never be the one that he dreamed about and worked so hard to achieve. That is a steep price to pay for 20 minutes of action out of his 20 plus years of life.” — Dan Turner, letter to judge prior to sentencing of his son, Brock Turner, after Brock’s conviction for sexual assault of an unconscious woman, June.
10. “I’m not the next Usain Bolt or Michael Phelps. I’m the first Simone Biles.” — Olympic gymnast Simone Biles, interview, Rio de Janeiro, Aug. 11.