There are a lot of bad things going on in the last couple of years. From pandemic to war, and from war to energy disruptions, one crisis comes after the other. It is logical to feel down, without purpose, full of fear and anxiety. And the problems may be escalating from now on. How can we overcome all these difficulties? Are there secrets for uplifting the spirit? As human beings we have many aces up our sleeves to help us overcome difficulties, due to our instinct of survival. Here are some examples
- Spend more time in nature – as much as you can. You will be amazed how much difference a walk in a forest or a big park can make. Just BE there and empty your head. We need that connection with the Earth, whether we realize it or not. We belong there, not in the city. We miss the Earth and this connection. This contributes to making us feel frustrated and anxious.
- Arrange for ‘moments of calm’. You can call it meditation; you can call it praying; you can call it mindfulness. I am not talking about the meaningless, expensive ‘yoga’ lessons. I am talking about finding 10 minutes for yourself, trying not to do or think anything.
- Bootstrapping self-care. This implies that you already have the resources for self-care inside you. You know what relaxes you and make you feel better – an herbal bath? A night walk? Looking at the stars? Sewing? Painting? Find one or two and do them on a regular basis, for a specific duration.
- Respect your body’s needs. Yes, your brain say I feel sad, telling you “I need some sugar/chocolate/junk food.” These give you a quick burst of energy and comfort the soul – but afterwards, you will feel more tired and depressed. What I am saying is: it is not bad to eat something delicious for the brain – now and then – but it is not good for you to do it when feeling down.
- Read a book – including old favorites. I find myself many times pulling a million-times-read book from the self, just to have a glimpse on it. Not internet. A book is something concrete, tangible – and your body and brain grasps it readily. One sentence in a book, is far more powerful than a jot from google – because it gives all it has, and is a complete whole. With a good book, you do not have to go searching for what is missing.
Channel your energy into those things you most adore in your life most. Give power to people and activities that nourish a spirit of joy and gratitude.
* The above is not medical advice but mere suggestions for improving your diet. Before reach herbal use you should consult your doctor, especially those who have health issues, are pregnant or are under the age of 6.
Evropi-Sofia Dalampira holds a PhD in Agricultural Economics and an MSc in Botany-Biology.