Welcome to TNH’s Takeover! In collaboration with The Hellenic Initiative (THI), The National Herald and THI have begun a partnership to introduce the NEXTGEN of Greek/Cypriot ‘movers and shakers’ to the rest of our Diaspora community around the world. Established to inform its readers about all things related to our homeland and its respective communities throughout the world, TNH is now providing THI’s New Leaders (40-years-old and younger), with a new platform to showcase their ideas and to engage their communities in a deeper, more meaningful way while simultaneously building a bridge to Greece and Cyprus.
First Name, Last Name
What city do you live in?
Where in Greece/Cyprus are you from?
- Global Brand Partnerships at Google
What motivated you to get involved with THI?
- As a proud Greek American, I was looking for a way to give back to the Greek community and connect with other like-minded young professionals. THI New Leaders is an exceptional group of young people who are dedicated to building a better future for Greece.
I am so grateful to Peter Poulos, Artemis Kohas and Anthony Liveris for all their leadership and for getting me involved in this amazing organization.
What do you hope to achieve through THI?
- The opportunity to impact the prosperity of Greece through philanthropic programs.
Favorite activity to take part in where you live?
- Spending time with family and friends, cooking, and taking long walks with my maltipoo, Jasper.
Favorite place to take your non-Greek friends when they visit you in Greece/Cyprus?
- The rooftop of the Athens Hilton for fantastic views of the Acropolis!
Go-to Greek dish when you're missing the homeland?
Favorite Greek product you can find outside of Greece?
Top people of Greek/Cypriot descent you admire:
- There are so many talented and notable Greeks across all industries. Personally, I have always admired the work of Ilias Lalaounis. His pieces speak to the rich beauty and culture of Greece.
In addition to THI, how are you involved in/help the Greek/Cypriot community?
- I'm a regular parishioner at the Archdiocesan Cathedral here in NY and have proudly served on the gala committees since 2014. I love connecting with other Greeks and am always looking for ways to give back to the community.
What is the biggest crisis Greece/Cyprus faces today?
- The most imminent crisis facing Greece today is the COVID-19 pandemic, both from a public health and an economic perspective. In speaking with friends and family who reside in Greece, it is apparent that there is much uncertainty for the future. Greece relies heavily on tourism and with the recent lockdowns and travel restrictions, businesses have suffered tremendously.
Aside from the pandemic, the lack of opportunities and high paying jobs has caused much of the young talent to leave Greece for more competitive jobs abroad.
One piece of advice an elder has given you that has proved invaluable?
- Nothing can take the place of persistence.
Favorite quote from a Greek philosopher?
- “Courage is knowing what not to fear” (Plato)
One Greek/Cypriot tradition you'll never stop keeping?
- Cutting the Vasilopita on New Year's Day.
How has your Hellenic background helped shape who you are today?
- I attribute everything I have accomplished in my life to my Greek upbringing, which was greatly influenced by my parents and grandparents. When I think of all the lessons and values that have been passed down from the generations before me, I think of the Greek word philotimo. The meaning of this word embodies all of the positive virtues (love, empathy, humility, generosity, integrity) that are so unique to our Hellenic culture.
- “It’s never too late to be what you might have been”