Welcome to TNH’s Takeover! In collaboration with The Hellenic Initiative (THI), The National Herald and THI have begun a partnership to introduce the NEXTGEN of Greek/Cypriot ‘movers and shakers’ to the rest of our Diaspora community around the world. Established to inform its readers about all things related to our homeland and its respective communities throughout the world, TNH is now providing THI’s New Leaders (40-years-old and younger), with a new platform to showcase their ideas and to engage their communities in a deeper, more meaningful way while simultaneously building a bridge to Greece and Cyprus. Our next featured New Leader is Constantine Katsarakis. Get to know him below!
Last Name, First Name?
- Concordia University (Montreal, Canada)
What city do you live in?
Where in Greece are you from?
- I grew up in Athens and my family is from Crete and Thiva.
- Associate Executive Director, Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans (nonprofit executive)
What motivated you to get involved with THI?
- The desire to dedicate my energy and skills to supporting my homeland and my compatriots in Greece in meaningful and effective ways
- The need for an outlet to practice my Hellenism, share my Greek identity and values, and connect with other Hellenes and Philhellenes
What do you hope to achieve through THI?
- Assist in securing aid and supporting economic growth initiatives in Greece
- Expand my network of Hellenes and Philhellenes
Favorite activity to take part in where you live?
- Outdoors sports (biking, hiking, kayaking)
Favorite place to take your non-Greek friends when they visit you in Greece?
Go-to Greek dish when you’re missing the homeland?
Top three people of Greek descent you admire?
- Eleftherios Venizelos
- Constantine Cavafy
- Aristotle Onassis
In addition to THI, how are you involved in/help the Greek/Cypriot community?
- Financial support for Greek causes
- Volunteerism and participation in the leadership teams of other Hellenic organizations
- Awareness-raising among non-Greeks about key issues of importance to Greece and Greeks
What is the biggest crisis Greece/Cyprus faces today?
One piece of advice an elder has given you that has proved invaluable?
- Every decision has consequences; when you make one, be ready for them and take responsibility
Favorite quote from a Greek philosopher?
- We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit – Aristotle
One Greek/Cypriot tradition you’ll never stop keeping?
- Greek dancing at holidays and celebrations.
How has your Hellenic background helped shape who you are today?
- I have always experienced my Hellenic heritage as both a privilege and a responsibility: a privilege because the ideals, resilience, and accomplishments of my ancestors (ancient and modern) have instilled in me a strong sense of pride and motivation, and a responsibility because of the duty I believe we have as Hellenes to honor this legacy and to carry it forward into the future through our own efforts and achievements.
- Ever to Excel (αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν)