x

Music

Survey Says! Greeks Like Melissa Mantzoukis’ Song Liar for Eurovision

ATHENS – Greeks surveyed about their preference for the country’s entry into the pop kitsch Eurovision contest in May, this year in Liverpool, have given a wide edge to Melissa MantzoukiS’ for her song Liar.

That was shown in a survey of more than 2,000 votes on Eurovision Fun although the choice won’t be made only by them, but also with Greece’s state TV station ERT, with input from a panel of reviewers.

Seven artists are competing four female, two men and a female duet as Greece hopes to get its first win since 2005 when Helena Paparizou triumped with her rollicking song, My Number One.

The song Holy Water by Klavdias was the second leading favorite, followed by What They Say by Victor Vernikos.

The vote of the audience committee counts for 50.6 percent in the final decision for the song that will represent Greece, with the remaining 49.4 percent by ERT’s seven-member artistic committee, a pick imminent.

Mantzouki easily led the poll with 34.56 percent of the votes after showing popularity on social media as well. Her song was put together by a team of Greek and Dutch creators as pure pop dance, the stuff of Eurovision.

“The song is a hymn we could say to the woman, who in all the adversity and challenges of the times, the modern woman has to put up her walls and defenses in all the toxic and transgressive behaviors she has to face,” the site said about it.

The other finalists are Monika with I’m Proud; Antonia Kaouri & Maria Maragou for Shout Out and Konstantina Iosifidou’s We are Young.

RELATED

THESSALONIKI – Video Art Miden collaborates with ToPikap in Thessaloniki, presenting the video art program ‘Frozen’, curated by Gioula and Olga Papadopoulou, on Saturday, February 4.

Top Stories

Columnists

A pregnant woman was driving in the HOV lane near Dallas.

General News

FALMOUTH, MA – The police in Falmouth have identified the victim in an accident involving a car plunging into the ocean on February 20, NBC10 Boston reported.

General News

NEW YORK – Meropi Kyriacou, the new Principal of The Cathedral School in Manhattan, was honored as The National Herald’s Educator of the Year.

Video

Police: 10 Wounded in Drive-by Shooting in Central Florida

LAKELAND, Fla. (AP) — Ten people were injured during a drive-by shooting in a central Florida neighborhood, police said.

THESSALONIKI – Video Art Miden collaborates with ToPikap in Thessaloniki, presenting the video art program ‘Frozen’, curated by Gioula and Olga Papadopoulou, on Saturday, February 4.

SAN FRANCISCO – The opening of Uproot, the Greek Chamber Music Project (GCMP) concert tour marking the centennial of the Asia Minor Catastrophe, takes place on Friday, February 3, 8 PM, at Old First Concert, 1751 Sacramento Street in San Francisco, and live-streamed online.

MILAN — Italy's government has increased security around its diplomatic missions around the globe in response to “a crescendo of terroristic attacks” by an anarchist network that has been acting in solidarity with an imprisoned Italian militant, the foreign minister said Tuesday.

Enter your email address to subscribe

Provide your email address to subscribe. For e.g. [email protected]

You may unsubscribe at any time using the link in our newsletter.