BALTIMORE, MD – Greek-American Congressman John Sarbanes who represents Maryland's Third Congressional District, released the following update via email on his efforts concerning the U.S. Postal Service.
His full statement follows:
Like you, I have been deeply angry at the Trump Administration's recent efforts to undermine the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) and interrupt the delivery of mail and other important goods and services in Maryland and across the country.
These mail delivery problems are a symptom of the difficulties that the USPS has experienced under the strain of an unprecedented public health emergency and a Trump White House that's hostile to its operation.
For months, I've been working closely with my colleagues in Congress to provide the USPS with the capabilities and resources it needs to operate safely and effectively during the COVID-19 pandemic. I've also taken steps to fight back against President Trump's cynical attempts to sabotage mail delivery — a dangerous scheme that the President admits is designed to limit Americans' ability to vote in November.
Here's a quick rundown:
- In May, I co-sponsored the Protect Our Post Offices Act (H.R. 6425), an effort to ensure the continued delivery of vital goods and services to Americans across the country by providing $25 billion in emergency funding for the USPS.
- In May, I also voted to pass the Heroes Act, a comprehensive COVID-19 relief package for American families that — among many important priorities — would authorize $25 billion in emergency funding to help the USPS maintain timely delivery services for the American people and protect the health and safety of postal workers.
- In June, I again called for $25 billion in USPS emergency funding.
- Last week, I joined a bipartisan group of lawmakers in urging USPS Postmaster General Louis DeJoy to end his attempts to undermine USPS operations and improve the speed of mail delivery.
- This week, I called out Postmaster General DeJoy again for ignoring Congress' request to provide more information about the Trump Administration's behind-the-scenes scheming to impair mail delivery. I also co-sponsored a bill that would stop the Trump Administration from deliberately slowing USPS operations.
Moving forward, I will work tirelessly to keep a watchful eye on the Trump Administration's insidious campaign against the USPS and I will do everything possible in Congress to help the USPS deliver mail in a timely and effective manner for you and your families.
If you're continuing to experience issues with mail delivery, please send me an email: https://sarbanes.house.gov/zip-code-lookup?form=/contact/email-me or call my office at 410-832-8890.
A pregnant woman was driving in the HOV lane near Dallas.
FALMOUTH, MA – The police in Falmouth have identified the victim in an accident involving a car plunging into the ocean on February 20, NBC10 Boston reported.
NEW YORK – Meropi Kyriacou, the new Principal of The Cathedral School in Manhattan, was honored as The National Herald’s Educator of the Year.
Sign up for a subscription
Want to save this article? Get a subscription to access this feature and more!Subscribe