Fr. Peter Metallinos fell asleep in the Lord at the age of 90. He was born on the island of Tinos, Greece in 1932. Beloved husband of the late Emilia (Sofronas); father of Jack (Megan) and Elizabeth; grandfather of Emilia and Claire; brother of the late John Metallinos; beloved uncle of Elizabeth Katsaras, Sophia Metallinos, Jack Metallinos, Manthos Desypris; and great-uncle of Mary and Johnny Metallinos and Alexander and Yianni Katsaras.
He came to the United States in 1952 and attended the University of California, Berkeley and later was drafted into the U.S. Army and served in the military police.
In 1956 he entered Holy Cross School of Theology in Brookline, MA, and realized his dream of becoming a priest in 1962 when he was ordained. He was assigned as the acting pastor at the Annunciation Cathedral of Baltimore before being assigned to the American Hellenic Community of Greater Cleveland. This appointment marked the beginning of the 36-year history of ministry at Saint Demetrios Church at Wooster Road before overseeing the groundbreaking, building, and establishment of the Saint Demetrios Church and Cultural Center, which was consecrated in November 1977.
During his tenure as priest, Father Peter served with distinction as a member of the Diocesan Council, the Diocesan Spiritual Court, and a member of the Board of Directors of Saint Gregory Palamas Monastery. In addition, he served as Vice Chairman of the Archdiocesan Investment Committee and served as a member of the Archdiocesan Presbyters Council. He was appointed to a team representing the Archdiocese of America to the international conference of the World Council of Hellenes Abroad.
In 1987, His Eminence Archbishop Iakovos bestowed upon him the highest office a married priest can attain, the ‘Offikion’ of Protopresbyter of the Ecumenical Patriarchate. Most recently he received the highest honor of the Metropolis of Syros-Tinos, bestowed on him by His Eminence Dorotheos II. Father Peter also received many accolades on a civic level as well. He was honored by the Hellenic American Congress for his outstanding services for human justice and humanitarian needs for the people of Cyprus. He was also recognized for Exemplary Hellenic Achievement by the Hellenic Preservation Society of Northeastern Ohio. After his retirement from Saint Demetrios in 1998 he served at Saints Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Cleveland Heights, Ohio, assisting Rev. Stephen Callos for close to 25 years, bringing his total years of ministry to 60 years. Throughout the years of his ministry, he cherished his camaraderie and friendship with his fellow priests and co-celebrants and enjoyed having a weekly religious radio program on WZAK for 18 years. In addition, he was devoted to his parishioners by availing himself day and night, regardless of distance or location.
One of his most important roles in life was that of being a grandfather to his precious grandchildren, Emilia and Claire, who he spoke to everyday. He enjoyed his summers in Greece with his children and grandchildren, visiting family, former schoolmates, and meeting friends, new and old.
All services were held at St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church, 22909 Center Ridge Rd., Rocky River, OH 44116.