x

Politics

Greeks Join Effort to Send Supplies to Turkey More Earthquake Relief

February 9, 2023

ATHENS – With a truce in their verbal war and disputes over the seas, Greece will send five aircraft with humanitarian aid to help Turkey in the wake of a deadly earthquake that has killed more than 15,000 people, and Greeks are jumping in to help.

The supplies will be sent through the European Civil Protection Mechanism on the order of Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis and include health and medical equipment and basic necessities, such as 7,500 blankets, 1,500 beds and 500 tents, which can accommodate families and used as mobile clinics.

The first mission of humanitarian aid to Turkey will be accompanied by Climate Crisis and Civil Protection Minister, Christos Stylianidis and the Secretary General of Civil Protection Vassilios Papageorgiou, said the state-run Athens-Macedonia News Agency ANMA, although Turkey rejected aid offered by Cyprus.

The mission is carried out in consultation with the Turkish authorities, with the assistance of the Turkish ambassador in Athens, and in cooperation with the European Commission, the report said.

Some 75 percent of the cost of transporting the equipment will be covered by the European Civil Protection Mechanism, while the remaining 25 percent from Aegean Airlines, no word whether Greek military aircraft would also be used at some point.

The Greek government, Greek Orthodox Church, and municipalities among others have issued calls to the public for collection of basic needs for the earthquake-stricken regions of Turkey and Syria, added the report.

The General Secretariat for Social Solidarity and Combatting Poverty (Labor & Social Affairs Ministry) asked for donations of items through the Hellenic Red Cross to help the homeless in those two countries.

The list of necessities includes foods with long shelf life (legumes, cans, biscuits, nuts, bottled water, milk, and juices), baby diapers, blankets and sheets, children’s and adult clothing, personal hygiene items, masks, antibacterial hankies or gels, gloves, and baby formula, milk for children, and baby care items.

The Greek Orthodox Church of Greece will collect from the Holy Archbishopric of Athens and Metropolitan Churches of Greece other items as well, including new blankets and comforters as well as bottled water, long-shelf-life milk, pasta, rice, and legumes in a drive from a Feb. 12-19 aid drive.

RELATED

ATHENS - A law enforcement agency being called a version of the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is being set up in Greece to try to deal with fighting mobsters after a Greek police operation called Clean Hands couldn’t do it.

Top Stories

Columnists

A pregnant woman was driving in the HOV lane near Dallas.

General News

NEW YORK – Meropi Kyriacou, the new Principal of The Cathedral School in Manhattan, was honored as The National Herald’s Educator of the Year.

Video

1 of 2 Abducted Louisiana Children is Found Dead in Mississippi after Their Mother is Killed

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — A Louisiana woman was found dead in her home Thursday, and her two young daughters were abducted and found hours later in Mississippi — one dead and the other alive, police said.

GELSENKIRCHEN, Germany  — Jude Bellingham scored to give England a winning start at the European Championship by beating Serbia 1-0 on Sunday.

BALTIMORE  — Gunnar Henderson hit his eighth leadoff homer of the season, and three more Orioles also went deep off Zack Wheeler to help Baltimore beat the Philadelphia Phillies 8-3 on Sunday.

OBBÜRGEN, Switzerland  — Nearly 80 countries called Sunday for the “territorial integrity” of Ukraine to be the basis for any peace agreement to end Russia’s two-year war, though some key developing nations at a Swiss conference did not join in.

ATHENS - Four years after the COVID-19 pandemic shut international travel and kept tourists away from Greece, the government now wants  to limit how many cruise ships can dock at popular islands because there are too many tourists.

Enter your email address to subscribe

Provide your email address to subscribe. For e.g. [email protected]

You may unsubscribe at any time using the link in our newsletter.