x

Society

Greece COVID-19 Cases Skyrocket, Record Daily Death Report

October 25, 2021

ATHENS – As the New Democracy government said it’s favoring an economic recovery and won’t impose any more lockdowns – and is easing health restrictions – there were 3,937 cases recorded in one day and a record 54 fatalities.

That happened in a 24-hour period up to 3 p.m. on Oct. 25 after warnings from the health panel advising Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis, who has moved away from any thought of mandatory vaccinations, that the crisis will get worse.

The new cases were identified from 76,793 tests, a positivity rate of 5.13% more than five times higher than the indicator of 1.0 that would show the pandemic is being put under control, with anti-vaxxers continuing to spread it.

There are also 354 patients on ventilators in public health hospitals, said the National National Organization for Public Health (EODY,) 314 of them (88.7 percent) unvaccinated or only partially vaccinated, while the other 40 (11.3%) are fully vaccinated, although companies making the vaccines said that almost would never happen at that rate.

Attica, Greece’s most populous region, recorded the highest number of new cases with 710, with 623 in the northern port city of Thessaloniki, Greece’s second-largest and a symbol of defiance against health restrictions.

The new reported cases bring the total tally of new cases in Greece since the start of the pandemic to 720,295, with 15,682 deaths over the same period.

RELATED

ATHENS - Icy temperatures, gale-force winds and heavy snow are expected in Greece from the weekend as a result of a wave of bad weather named "Elpis" by the national meteorological service EMY.

Top Stories

Church

NEW YORK - Some 21 years after it was destroyed in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks in the United States that brought down the Twin Towers in New York City, the new St Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church rising in its place is among the most eagerly awaited architectural openings of 2022.

Events

STATEN ISLAND, NY – For yet another year, the community of Holy Trinity-St Nicholas in Staten Island honored couples celebrating 50+ years of marriage with a modest ceremony held at the church immediately following the Divine Liturgy on January 16.

Society

NEW YORK – New research into Greek artifacts looted by the Nazis was highlighted in the New York Times on January 18 as “the topic of the Nazi role in antiquities looting is increasingly drawing attention, in part through the work of scholars who are peeling back the mysteries of what happened to the objects that were excavated or seized eight decades ago.

Video

Pentagon Releases First Video of Botched Kabul Airstrike

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon has declassified and publicly released video footage of a US drone strike in Kabul that killed 10 civilians in the final hours of a chaotic American withdrawal that ended a 20-year war in Afghanistan.

Enter your email address to subscribe

Provide your email address to subscribe. For e.g. abc@xyz.com

You may unsubscribe at any time using the link in our newsletter.