x

Society

Fire in Central Athens Hotel Likely an Arson – 20 Rescued, 3 Hospitalized

December 6, 2019

ATHENS – The cause of the Thursday afternoon blaze at an Athens hotel which sent three people to the hospital might be attributed to arson, Fire Brigade investigators reported on Thursday evening.

Two plastic containers with flammable liquid were recovered intact in the second floor corridor and another on the first floor, where the fire is thought to have started.

Investigators said this evidence suggests that someone intended to start the fire and help it spread fast across the entire building.

Firefighters earlier rescued 20 people from the burning hotel on Syngrou Avenue, in Athens’ Neos Kosmos district, on Thursday afternoon. Of these, three had to be rushed to hospital with serious respiratory issues caused by smoke inhalation.

The three taken to hospital included two women and one man, who had broken his leg in the panic that ensued after the fire broke out. Meanwhile, one of the two women is on life support in the intensive care unit, and is thought to be in critical condition.

According to the inspectors, the fire appears to have started in the corridor of the first floor, possibly outside the room that was damaged.

RELATED

ATHENS - Restrictive measures against the coronavirus currently in effect will be extended by yet another week to Monday, January 31, the Greek Health Ministry announced on Wednesday, following a meeting of the ministry's committee of health experts.

Top Stories

Church

OCEAN, NJ – Rafaella Lambrinos, whose family is from Karpathos originally, spoke with The National Herald about the Adopt a Yiayia and Pappou program she founded at St George Greek Orthodox Church in Ocean, NJ, which connects youth and seniors from her church community through weekly phone conversations.

Associations

NEW YORK – Greek-American Trevor Zegras, forward for the Anaheim Ducks is set to play in his first NHL game in New York City against the Rangers at Madison Square Garden on Tuesday, March 15, 7 PM.

General News

WASHINGTON, DC – AHEPA deeply mourns the passing of Past Supreme President and co-founder of AHEPA National Housing Corporation (ANHC) Nick Smyrnis.

Video

1 Killed, 8 Hurt as Suspected Gas Explosion Hits Bronx Home

NEW YORK — A suspected gas explosion partially collapsed a home in the Bronx, setting the structure ablaze and killing a woman and injuring eight other people, including five police officers, officials said.