x

Society

Cyprus Fines US, Norwegian Men for Illegal Shipwreck Search

March 31, 2019

NICOSIA (AP) — A Cypriot law enforcement official says a court has fined a U.S. national and a Norwegian man 6,000 euros ($6,730) each for illegally searching for an old shipwreck off the east Mediterranean island’s coast.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he is not allowed to disclose details of the case publicly, said Friday authorities had received a tip in February that the two men were looking for the shipwreck aboard a research vessel.

The 36-year-old American and 44-year-old Norwegian were convicted last month on two charges of conspiracy to commit a misdemeanor and attempting to illegally search for antiquities without formal authorization.

Cyprus has a seafaring tradition going back thousands of years. Wrecks discovered off its coast are dated as far back as the 5th century B.C.


By MENELAOS HADJICOSTIS Associated Press

RELATED

NICOSIA - In an operation off the island, United States Navy SEAL teams collaborated with the Cypriot Navy Underwater Demolition Team in three weeks of exercises designed to show a deterrent to threats to maritime security.

Top Stories

Columnists

A pregnant woman was driving in the HOV lane near Dallas.

General News

NEW YORK – Meropi Kyriacou, the new Principal of The Cathedral School in Manhattan, was honored as The National Herald’s Educator of the Year.

Video

‘Without Us, You Don’t Eat’: Greek Farmers Ride Some 200 Tractors to Athens to Demand Financial Help (Vids)

ATHENS — Greek farmers rode Tuesday some 200 tractors to the capital, Athens, demanding financial help from the government as cost of living spiked in the Mediterranean country.

ATHENS - SYRIZA-Progressive Alliance leader called on members of the Political Secretariat meeting on Tuesday to clarify whether they are doubting him as party leader.

WASHINGTON - The White House continues to warn Israel against expanding its offensive into Rafah, the southernmost city in the Gaza Strip.

KANSAS CITY, Mo — Missouri prosecutors said Tuesday that two men have been charged with murder in last week’s shooting that killed one person and injured 22 others after the Kansas City Chiefs’ Super Bowl parade.

Enter your email address to subscribe

Provide your email address to subscribe. For e.g. [email protected]

You may unsubscribe at any time using the link in our newsletter.