CHICAGO, Ill. – Halsted Street, in the heart of Chicago’s heralded Greek community “Greektown,” has been officially renamed Theodore Spyropoulos Street, honoring the recently-deceased benefactor.
The Municipal Council made it official on November 14 with the unveiling of a plaque bearing the new name.
Attending the event were Spyropoulos’ wife, Erika, and daughter Mariyana, Illinois Governor Pat Quinn, and Secretary of State Jesse White, Consul General of Greece Ioanna Efthimiadou, and numerous other dignitaries.
The enthusiastic crowd braved the bigtter cold and waited patiently for the unveiling.
Mariyana Spyropoulos thanked the crowd during the lunch the followed, and spoke of her father’s impassioned dedication to the community.
Spyropoulos’ seemingly countless community initiatives included:*
- U.S.A. Regional Coordinator, Alternative President of the World Council of Hellenes Abroad (S.A.E), World Council of Hellenes Abroad (S.A.E.)
- President, Plant Your Roots in Greece, Inc
- President, Theodore and Erica Spyropoulos Foundation
- Honorary and Past President, Hellenic American National Council U.S.A.
- Past President, ENOSIS of Hellenic American Organizations of Illinois
- President and Founder, Hellenic American Chamber of Commerce U.S.A.
- Vice Chairman, American Hellenic Institute (AHI) http://www.ahiworld.com/
- Chairman and Founder, The Spyropoulos Scholarship for Hellenic American Students in the USA and Hellas
- Director, Automotive Wholesalers of Illinois
- Director, Chicago Sister Cities International Program
- Member, AHEPA
- Member, Automotive Service Industry Association (ASIA)
- Member, Illinois Petroleum Marketers Association (IPMA)
- Member, Export Council of USA
- Member, International Political Advisory Council
- Member, Businessmen’s Democratic National Committee (BDNC)
- Member, American European Committee Association USA
- Member, AGEI Hellenic Interests of Greek Americans
- Founding member of Technopolis, Thrace, Hellas, International
- Member of EEC International Visiting Council* Ted & Erika Spyropoulos Foundation (spyropoulos.org)