A few weeks ago, he became the first football coach at the highest level to have won the league title in the top 5 leagues in Europe: Italy, England, France, Germany & Spain.
A few days ago, he led the renewed “Queen” of Real Madrid to a new conquest of the Champions League without having received the title of favorite during the season.
The absolutely successful Coach Carlo Ancelotti through his biography “Quiet Leadership: Winning hearts, minds & matches” has already shared generously his LEADERSHIP approach.
He is a vulnerable leader.
His book is a treasure in terms of leadership, management, coaching & personal branding. Some of his guide lines can be presented as powerful leadership quotes.
Some of them are listed below just as he would have revealed them to you in a one-on-one session:
- “Create a family climate in the team and do not to express your preferences for specific team members”
- “Try to find the true leaders within your team”
- “Always think of your colleagues as equal and engage them in everything”
- “Do not seek frequent contact with the top management (the owners), but you should always be prepared to provide answers for all issues”
- “Do not look for guilty, look for the solution”
- “Convince your team members that you are the appropriate person for their personal development. Everyone is wondering what you can do for them”
- “The real leader is authentic. If you do not have it, you will be revealed”
- “Work as if you are going to stay forever there, even if you know you may leave soon. A good manager when leaving, will have to leave things better than he found them”
- “The manager should not always motivate but rather not demotivate”
- “Provide people with confidence to be themselves”
- “Make the members of the team believe they are being involved in something great. Especially after failures, always find new goals, habits and motivations”
- “If you get angry and shout often, your associates will start to ignore you”
- “Always explain in detail your plan and goals”
- “Always compare yourself with those who work well and not with those who are not working”
- “Leadership is about how others see you, not how you see yourself”
I could write many more lines on what I appreciate as positive insight from this book. Ancelotti is not an ordinary coach. He decided that wining the hearts of his associates would establish a different but effective coaching style. With this style he continues to :
- Manage an enormous budget of billions
- Discover, manage and develop some of the biggest talents in the world
- Work in organizations with a long tradition, a distinct culture and high-end strategies
- Manage the media
- Manage the demands / desires of powerful, ambitious and eccentric owners, and above all
- Manage the expectations and dreams of millions of fans every time
Not bad for a football manager! I can imagine many CEOs that would envy the curriculum vitae of such a manager!
*George Goulas is a Career Advisor & Coach based in Athens – Greece. His career is dedicated in helping people & organizations to achieve their goals.
Connect with him on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/georgegoulas/