x

Politics

Bidder Offers Up to $120 Million for Collapsed Condo Site

MIAMI — A private bidder is willing to offer up to $120 million to purchase the Miami-area oceanfront property where the collapsed Champlain Towers South building once stood.

The offer was revealed Wednesday during a hearing before Circuit Judge Michael Hanzman, who is overseeing the dozens of lawsuits that have been filed since the condominium collapsed June 24, killing 98 people. Officials are still trying to determine what caused the building to collapse.

The judge authorized negotiation of an agreement with the bidder, who was not publicly identified. A real estate broker told the judge he had a "letter of interest" from the bidder that offered $110 million for the property, the Miami Herald reported.

"They're willing to go to $120 million," said Michael Fay, who has been appointed to work on the real estate deal.

"That's the best news I've heard so far today," the judge said. He then asked Fay to move as "quickly as possible" to get to a "short auction process."

"I want to compensate these victims as soon as possible," Hanzman said.

Some families had hoped the government would purchase the property to turn it into a park or a memorial site to honor the victims, rather than a residential or commercial development.

On Wednesday, Manny Kadre, a lawyer who is serving as a liaison between the court and elected leaders, said that appears "very highly unlikely," the Herald reported.

He suggested that perhaps officials could step in to help forgive mortgages, create a victims compensation fund or help with creating a memorial on the site or nearby.

"The property being monetized by government is a very, very unlikely scenario," Kadre told the newspaper.

RELATED

WASHINGTON (AP) — Trucks carrying badly needed aid for the Gaza Strip rolled across a newly built U.

Top Stories

Columnists

A pregnant woman was driving in the HOV lane near Dallas.

General News

NEW YORK – Meropi Kyriacou, the new Principal of The Cathedral School in Manhattan, was honored as The National Herald’s Educator of the Year.

Video

What is proven, and quite clearly indeed by the article which is published in this edition of The National Herald titled ‘Church of Crete Sends Letter to Patriarch Bartholomew Telling Him Not to Interfere’, regarding the ongoing issues within the Semi-Autonomous Church of Crete, is the fact that Patriarch Bartholomew has become a captive of his own choices in general.

BOSTON – The Semi-Autonomous Church of Crete, through its Holy Eparchial Synod, sent a letter on Tuesday, April 30 to Patriarch Bartholomew in response to his inquiry about his rights regarding the Patriarchal Monasteries of the island, telling him not to interfere administratively with them, according to information obtained by The National Herald.

Fifty years ago, Syrian President Hafiz al-Assad hosted U.

‘A healthy diet’ is often a complex term, because as science progresses, research becomes more abundant, information becomes complex, and it's difficult to navigate.

Enter your email address to subscribe

Provide your email address to subscribe. For e.g. [email protected]

You may unsubscribe at any time using the link in our newsletter.