x

Society

After 12 Years Away, Athina Onassis Coming to Greece

February 15, 2019

With little connection to her late grandfather Aristotle Onassis’ homeland, Athina Onassis is set to come to Greece after a 12-year absence to take part in her passion of horsing, for a World Cup event, one of the most prestigious in the sport.

Her last visit was in 2007 when she accompanied ex-husband Brazilian rider, Alvaro de Miranda Neto, and watched him compete at the Athina Onassis Horse Show, 10 years before their bitter divorce over his allegedly infidelity.

According to a report from Star, the 34-year-old Athina will be at the horse event in July in the area of Markopoulo, East Attica.

She is the only child of Aristotle’s daughter Christina, who died in 1988, and of Thierry Roussel, a French pharmaceutical heir, her mother’s fourth husband. Her parents divorced after her father had two children with his mistress, Swedish model Marianne “Gaby” Landhage, who raised her after her mother’s sudden death.

After her 21st birthday in 2006, her lawyers unsuccessfully fought to instate her as President of the Onassis Foundation, with the board claiming she wasn’t qualified and denied she was even an heir to her grandfather’s estate although her mother inherited 55 percent of her father’s fortune, with the remaining 45 percent going to the foundation.

The board’s representatives stated that she had no connection with the Greek culture, religion, language or shared experience, never went to college and had no work experience and she has mostly shunned Greece.

RELATED

THESSALONIKI - A bus driver in Thessaloniki was sentenced to 80 months in jail – suspended – after he made a 12-year-old boy step off for not wearing a mask against COVID-19, the court ruling he exposed the boy to danger.

Top Stories

General News

FALMOUTH, MA – The police in Falmouth have identified the victim in an accident involving a car plunging into the ocean on February 20, NBC10 Boston reported.

General News

NEW YORK – Meropi Kyriacou, the new Principal of The Cathedral School in Manhattan, was honored as The National Herald’s Educator of the Year.

General News

PHILADELPHIA – The Federation of Hellenic Societies of Philadelphia and Greater Delaware Valley announced that the Evzones, the Presidential Guard of Greece will be participating in the Philadelphia Greek Independence Day Parade on March 20.

Video

Mission…to Alonnisos, a TNH Documentary

O oceanic you sing and sail White on your body and yellow on your chimeneas For you're tired of the filthy waters of the harbors You who loved the distant Sporades You who lifted the tallest flags You who sail clear through the most dangerous caves Hail to you who let yourself be charmed by the sirens Hail to you for never having been afraid of the Symplegades (Andreas Empeirikos)   What traveler has not been fascinated by the Greek islands, drawn by the Sirens’ song of a traveler’s dreams? TNH and our video show ‘Mission’ marked the change of the season by transporting viewers into the heart of summer.

Enter your email address to subscribe

Provide your email address to subscribe. For e.g. abc@xyz.com

You may unsubscribe at any time using the link in our newsletter.