The National Herald brings you a list of events in the community across the country, ranging from Tina Fey to politics and beach parties.
NEW YORK, NY – The Top Ten List on David Letterman’s Late Show is a staple of modern American late night television comedy. On May 20, the final show aired with the iconic Letterman as host – he is retiring and Stephen Colbert is taking over the show, which will begin on September 8. For his final ever (or so it seems) Top Ten, Letterman did not read the list himself. Instead, ten celebrities did. One of them, Greek-American TV star/comedienne Tina Fey. In fact, she was prominently billed at Number 2 on the list.
The full top ten countdown, including celebrities and their comments follows:
10. Alec Baldwin: “Of all the talk shows, yours is most geographically convenient to my home.
9. Barbara Walters: “Did you know that you wear the same cologne as Muammar Qaddafi?”
8. Steve Martin: “Your extensive plastic surgery was a necessity and a mistake.”
7. Jerry Seinfeld: “I have no idea what I’ll do when you go off the air… You know, I just thought of something–I’ll be fine.”
6. Jim Carrey: “Honestly, Dave, I’ve always found you to be a bit of an over-actor.”
5. Chris Rock: “I’m just glad your show is being given to another white guy.”
4. Julia Louis-Dreyfus: “Thanks for letting me take part in another hugely disappointing series finale.”
3. Peyton Manning: “You are to comedy what I am to comedy.”
2. Tina Fey: “Thanks for finally proving men can be funny.”
1. Bill Murray: “Dave, I’ll never have the money I owe you.”
Fey, who has won the Emmy and numerous other awards more than once is best known for her years on Saturday Night Live and 30 Rock, and she and BFF Amy Poehler has become the go-to hostesses of the Golden Globe Awards, which Fey has also won more than once and was nominated for countless other times.
PHILADELPHIA, PA – Ourania “Rainy” Papademetriou won the Democratic Primary on May 19 for a judicial seat on the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas. Though the general election is in November, her victory is practically secured as in that heavily Democratic city, there is no Republican on the ballot to oppose her. Papademetriou is the Managing Attorney at Philadelphia VIP, a nonprofit organization that delivers free legal services to those in need. Previously, she was an Assistant District Attorney (ADA) in the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office and Director of Legal Services at Women Against Abuse.
CLEARWATER BEACH, FL – The United Greeks of America (UGA) began their annual beach party four years ago – and this year, over Memorial Day weekend, had their fifth and largest one yet. The venue, Shephard’s Beach Resort in Clearwater Beach, was packed to capacity for the event, with the UGA booking more than 100 hotel rooms. As the Clearwater Patch reported, what used to be a smaller event is growing year after year and is now talked about from coast to coast.
Organizer Constantino “Deano” Katsis said, the Patch reported, that “nowadays between school, work, and personal commitments it is difficult to really get everyone together. This weekend gives all of us a unique opportunity to party and celebrate life
as a family.”