Greek Soccer Probe Closes In

A probe investigation into widespread corruption in Greek soccer has reportedly neared an end, with 11 top officials and referees set to give testimony.

ATHENS – Yet another investigation into widespread corruption in Greek soccer has reportedly neared an end, with 11 top officials referees set to give testimony on Sept. 15 to Court of First Instance Deputy Prosecutor Aristidis Koreas.

Koreas gave the officials, four from the Hellenic Football Federation (EPO), two from EPO’s Central Refereeing Committee (KED), two Super League club chairmen and three top-flight referees, more time to prepare their depositions last week.

The prosecutor is investigating two incidents, the first allegedly involving former Super League referee Petros Konstantineas who was said to have told authorities that two EPO officials pressured him to favor one team in a match between Xanthi and pereniall power Olympiakos, which won, 1-0.

After the game, a bomb went off outside a bakery owned by Konstantineas. He was only assigned to one more game that season and then quit the sport.

The prosecutor has collected the phone records of several soccer officials from that period as part of the evidence for his case file. The other aspect of Koreas’s probe has to do with the way referees were assigned to Super League games prompted by a Kathimerini report in 2012.

Koreas has questioned 15 people, including EPO officials, referees and club executives, as part of his investigation into claims that regulations were not followed when choosing who would officiate games in the 2012-13 season. Match-fixing is not unusual in Greece and has reportedly involved players, top officials, referees and others associated with the game.