Located on the corner of Vasilissis Sophias Avenue and Irodotou Street in downtown Athens, the Stathatos Mansion houses temporary exhibits of the Museum of Cycladic Art. The work of Bavarian architect Ernst Ziller, this beautiful neoclassical building was constructed in 1895 as the residence of Othon and Athina Stathatos before it was purchased by the Greek State in 1982. After years of use housing diplomats, state representatives, and other VIP guests, the mansion was acquired by the N.P. Goulandris Foundation in 2001 for a span of 50 years, to facilitate in the expansion of the Museum of Cycladic Art.
Gracefully combining elements of Greco-Roman architecture, the building serves as an Athenian landmark. It’s characteristic arched entrance supporting an original balcony and statues, interior marble staircases, elaborate stucco mural decorations, chandeliers, and fireplaces are reminiscent of a quaint nineteenth century European aura. Though restored, the mansion has retained much of its original form. The basement, which once housed the kitchen, now serves as the offices of the Museum of Cycladic Art.
Examples of temporary exhibitions at the Stathatos Mansion include the Year of Constantine Cavafy, a dedication celebrating the life and death of the great Alexandrian poet, as well as HYGIEIA, an exhibition about health, illness, and treatment from Homer to Galen. Admission to the Museum of Cycladic Art includes access to the Stathatos Mansion. Open every day except Tuesdays, the entrance fee is 7 Euros on all days except Mondays when it is half-priced.