The Ephorate of Antiquities of Lesvos will inaugurate the reopening of the first floor of the Archaeological Museum of Limnos on Sunday evening.
The building accommodating the museum and its exhibits had suffered serious damage due to the 6.5 Richter earthquake that struck the island in May 2014. The restoration work on the building had been completed by October 2014 but it was decided that the second level of museum needed to be modernized.
The building housing the museum was built at the end of the 19th century and housed the offices of the then Ottoman administration.
It is a two-level neoclassical building. In 1939, the building was sold by the local council to the island’s school fund on the condition that it is handed over to the state to house the Limnos archaeological museum.