Anastasiades Holds Big Lead in Presidential Race


Nicos Anastasiades. Photo: TNH/Kosta Bej (FILE).

NICOSIA – Five years after he reneged on campaign promises and authorized bank account confiscations to save the country’s banks – and bankers – Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades is cruising toward another win in the 2018 elections, a poll by Antenna TV has shown.

The poll was conducted via 1,021 personal interviews with randomly selected subjects by CMRC Cypronetwork between Oct. 19-Nov. 6, the Cyprus Mail reported. It gave Anastasiades, from DISY, with 26.3 percent of the vote to 19.7 for Nikolas Papadopoulos of DIKO with Stavros Malas of AKEL third with 17 percent.

Citizens Alliance candidate Yiorgos Lillikas got 4 percent, far-right ELAM leader Christos Christou 3.6 percent and bondholders’ association leader Fivos Mavrovouniotis 0.9 percent, showing Anastasiades has easily withstood the wrath of people who lost money, as his administration recently said they would get partial compensation.

He hasn’t gone after bank who created the crisis, breaking that vow too.
Some 15.7 percent though said they don’t care and won’t vote for anyone and another 9.6 percent said they would cast a blank ballot, the total of the two categories meaning 25.3 percent are unhappy with the country’s politics and candidates.