Utah’s First Greek Orthodox Church Commemorated

The Hellenic Cultural Association placed a monument and plaque at the site of the original Holy Trinity Church, which was located at 439 W. 400 South and was built in 1905. Photo: Rick Egan- The Salt Lake Tribune.

The Greek community of Utah celebrated the construction of Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, the first Greek Orthodox church in the state, built 111 years ago at 439 W. 400 South in Salt Lake City. A $7,000 loan for the construction was secured by the community, and the church was dedicated on October 29, 1905, according to the late Constantine Skedros author of a history of the Greek Orthodox community in the Salt Lake Valley.

The Hellenic Cultural Association celebrated the historic event with a monument and plaque placed at the original site of the church. In the 1920’s, a much larger Holy Trinity in the style of a Byzantine cathedral replaced the older church and is located at the corner of 300 South and 300 West.