Sex Abuse Victim Sues Former Priest Metropoulos, Church Leaders, Community

Adam Metropoulos

BANGOR, Maine – Adam Metropoulos, a 53-year-old former Greek Orthodox Priest, who in March was convicted on four felony counts of sexual abuse of a minor, and in April was sentenced to 12 years in prison, is now being sued by the victim, the Bangor Daily News reported.

The name of the plaintiff, now 24, is not being released publicly because he was the victim of sexual abuse, the News reported.

The lawsuit also names as co-defendants Metropoulos’ supervisors and the Greek-American community in Bangor, although it does not specifically name St. George Greek Orthodox Church, where Metropoulos served.

The victim claimed to have sustained severe and permanent physical injury, emotional distress, mental anguish and future and past medical expenses because of Metropoulos’ sexual abuse, which occurred in 2006 and 2007, and he claimed, the News reported, that the Boston Metropolis, its leader Metropolitan Methodios, the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, and the Greek Orthodox community in Bangor were negligent in their supervision of Metropoulos.

The Boston Metropolis removed Metropoulos from his position the day following his arrest.

Metropolitan Methodios did not respond to TNH’s request for comment, and the Archdiocese told us that Archbishop Demetrios was out of the office when we called.

Metropoulos is incarcerated at the Maine Correctional center in Windham, the News reported, with 5 ½ years of his sentence suspended, resulting in 6 ½ years of jail time actually imposed.

The civil suit was filed on May 20 in Penobscot County Superior Court.

Metropoulos served St. George for 13 years.

As TNH reported, in September 2013 Metropoulos was arrested for child pornography and for videotaping a relative of his wife, who was visiting at the time, taking a bath in their home.

When she spotted the tiny camera, she confronted him and she reported the incident to the police. When the police searched Metropoulos’ computer, they found hundreds of child pornographic material. He was placed under arrest and the Church was alerted.

Metropoulos had previously been convicted of pedophilia in Michigan. He went to Maine he became a teacher and after eight years was admitted into the Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology and became a priest.

Metropoulos was spending long periods of time during the summer months at the Camp of the Metropolis of Boston in Contoocook New Hampshire doing catechetical instruction to the children, played with them and helped in the camp program.

It was also reported that Metropoulos had slept on the couch at his home with two underage boys and touched them inappropriately.

Recently, the court rejected Metropoulos’ petition for early release.